You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 264235  

Print Page



© Mr John H. Sparkes

IoE Number: 264235
Location: FORMER UNITED REFORM CHURCH, ST JAMES'S STREET (east side)
  SOUTH PETHERTON, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John H. Sparkes
Date Photographed: 20 March 2003
Date listed: 18 February 1988
Date of last amendment: 18 February 1988
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SOUTH PETHERTON CPST JAMES'S STREET (East end)ST43167/150Former United Reform Church

SOUTH PETHERTON CP ST JAMES'S STREET (East end) ST4316 7/150 Former United Reform Church GV II Former church, now used as public hall. 1863. Ham stone, cut, squared and boasted, ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof to steep pitch between coped gables with finials. Single-storey, 6 bays x 3 bays. West gable front of 3 bays, with pairs of corner buttresses and between-bay buttresses, all with finials, the inner pair having steeplets as finials: to bays 1 and 3 cusped lancet windows, and to bay 2 a 5-light Decorated style traceried window without label, rather thin tracery, above which is set a trefoil louvred vent; below is a pointed-arched doorway protected by open pitched-roof porch with C14 style outer archway with label. Side elevations have corner and bay buttresses; 2-light simple-tranceried windows, that to western bay having its cill at springing level, with pitched roofed gabled dormers over each window. Single-bay gabled extension to east end, set lower, with further extension against east side of this, having a cusped lancet window and pointed arched doorway, with trefoil light over. Interior not accessible - in process of conversion into public hall in April 1986, apparently with very little alteration to interior. Presbytrian meetings began in South Petherton about 1663. A chapel was built on part of the present site in 1775. (VCH, Vol III, 1974).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.