You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 264333  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Cook

IoE Number: 264333
Location: TIMBER STORE AT FORMER CANAL BASIN, NOW IN GROUNDS OF LAUREL COTTAGE,
  HAMBRIDGE AND WESTPORT, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Cook
Date Photographed: 08 April 2004
Date listed: 28 October 1987
Date of last amendment: 28 October 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST31NEBARRINGTON CPWESTPORT5/140Timber store at former canalbasin, now in grounds of Laurel

ST31NE BARRINGTON CP WESTPORT 5/140 Timber store at former canal basin, now in grounds of Laurel Cottage 28.10.87 GV II Timber store. Circa 1836. Coursed and squared lias plinth, projecting lias band at first floor level, brick to first floor; consisting of 5 tall openings to each face, imposts, segmental heads, one archway open with paired blank doors and strap hinges, brick dentil eaves cornice, high pyamidal slate roof. Square on plan, ground floor used as stabling for barge horses, upper floor for drying timber, formerly open archways, to allow freeflow of air through the building. Ground floor of roadside with 4 small segmental-headed window openings, 3 blocked, one with a 2-light casement, glazing missing, to right segmental head door opening with plank doors. C20 lean-to outshuts are not of special interest. Part of an important complex of structures forming a canal basin. Presently used for light industry. Part of former Westport Canal.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.