© Mr Eddy Allen
PARISH CHURCH OF ST DECUMAN, BRENDON ROAD
WATCHET, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr Eddy Allen
22 August 2001
12 June 1950
Date of last amendment:
12 June 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
Parish church of
ST 0642 3/1 12.6.50
C13 Chancel, otherwise mainly C15. Stands back from Brendon Road on a prominent site
overlooking the town. Restored and reseated by J P St Aubyn in 1886-91, further
internal alterations in 1896 when the Caen stone reredos erected. Local grey
squared random stonework, Chancel rendered. Slate roofs with ridge tiles. Church
consists of tower, Chancel, nave of 3 bays, aisles, 2 side chapels and south porch.
West tower in 3 stages, set-back buttresses, higher stair turret, battlements.
Four-light west window, 3-light bell openings with transom and tracery. Small
statue in niche on south side of tower probably depicting St Decuman. North aisle
embattled with quatrefoils in the crenelations, embattled rood stair turret, four
3-light windows. East window, 3-light with bar tracery. South aisle has four
3-light windows with tracery. South porch with C15 doorway, floor in chessboard
pattern of slates set on edge. Interior has finely carved wagon-roofs with leaftrail
carving running along wall plates relieved by array of shield bearing angels. Angels
with emblems of the passion to south aisle roof. Decorated roof bosses. Carved oak
rood screen with 4-light divisions, main arches divided into 2-light sub-arches.
Jacobean oak pulpit with tester, Wyndham family pew with finely carved foliage and
date 1688. Wyndham Chapel at east end of north aisle contains good C16 and C17
family memorials. C15 octagonal font, plain bowl with narrow moulding above and
below supported on carved angels, stem ornamented with panels. Late medieval
encaustic tiles to chancel floor relaid in 1896, others set in a frame on north
Large ledgerstone to Thomas Wyndham (died 1671) in chancel, reads: "Here lies
Beneath this Ragged Stone One more His Princes than his own And in his marterd Fathers
warrs Lost Fortune Blood Gained Nought but scarrs And for his sufferings as rewarde
His neather countinence or regard And Earth affording noe release is gone to Heavon
to ease his Greefe".