© Mr Eddy Allen
THE MARKET HOUSE, MARKET STREET
WATCHET, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr Eddy Allen
28 July 2001
12 June 1950
Date of last amendment:
12 June 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
The Market House
ST 0743 2/11 12.6.50
182O, rebuilding of earlier Market House which stood in the centre of Market Street
and was demolished in 1805. Repaired and ground floor converted to a museum in 1979.
First floor, Holy Cross Chapel (formerly St Decuman's Mission Church). Render, hipped
slate roof with square louvred lantern surmounted with weather-vane. Two-storeys.
Rectangular on plan. All window and door openings have stone surrounds with imposts,
segmental arches and keystones. Elevation to Market Street has 4 windows, 2-light
metal casements in wooden frames with diagonal lead glazing bars to first floor.
Ground floor has 2 plain boarded doors and two 3-light shop windows. Double external
stone staircase at the north-west end, doorway at head of stairs. Small 'lock-up'
under stairs. South-east end has single 2-light casement, window with diagonal lead
glazing bars and reinstated doorway below; elevation to Nos 27 and 28 Market Street
has 2 large 3-light shop windows and 2 doorways with plain boarded doors. Timber
bollard at south-east corner of Market House associated with nearby dock slip-way.