You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 264753  

Print Page



© Mr Hedley R. Hooper

IoE Number: 264753
Location: RAILWAY STATION,
  DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Hedley R. Hooper
Date Photographed: 21 June 2006
Date listed: 07 October 1981
Date of last amendment: 01 May 1985
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

The following buildings should be added to the list; SS9844 DUNSTER CP STATION ROAD (East side) 3/121 Booking Office, Platform and railings (formerly listed as Railway Station in Carhampton CP) 7.10.81 GV II Booking office, raised platform and railings. Dated 1871. Booking office: squared, uncoursed red sandstone, Bath stone dressings, chamfered plinth, quoins, plain clay tiled roof, decorative ridge tiles, coped verges, external stack left gable end, rebuilt cap, similar C20 stack left of centre. Plan: booking office and waiting room. Single storey. Track side: 2-light casements flanking half glazed double doors left, two similar doors to right, all openings with rusticated surrounds. Four bay lead roofed canopy with dog tooth wooden pelmet and similar timber clad returns carried on raking brackets. Flat roofed one bay, single storey block left. Original gas lamp holder on right return. The main features of the forecourt elevation are the steeply pitched, gabled porch with deep eaves carried on curved brackets shouldered surrounds to diagonally boarded double doors, similar shouldered surrounds to paired windows flanking door, and side light beyond. Raised platform of squared and coursed lias, tarmac covered, returned on either side of booking office about 150 m in length; spearhead cast iron railings behind and gates. The West Somerset Railway line was extended from Watchet to Minehead in 1874.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.