You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 264821  

Print Page



© Mr Eddy Allen

IoE Number: 264821
Location: FORMER BRENDON HILL MINERAL RAILWAY STATION, AT NGR ST 0225 3435,
  OLD CLEEVE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Eddy Allen
Date Photographed: 25 June 2001
Date listed: 11 June 1975
Date of last amendment: 11 June 1975
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST03SWOLD CLEEVE CPBRENDON HILL7/63Former Brendon Hill MineralRailway Station, at NGR ST 0225

ST03SW OLD CLEEVE CP BRENDON HILL 7/63 Former Brendon Hill Mineral Railway Station, at NGR ST 0225 3435 11.6.75 - II Mineral railway station, now store. 1861, altered late C20. Rendered over red sandstone, rusticated quoins, plinth, door and window surrounds, hipped slate roof, brick stack left, deep projecting eaves on facade, lower independently roofed gabled wings. Single storey, 1:2:1 bays, wooden casements, right wing inserted C20 window in rendered earlier doorway opening, probably to WC. Central three-quarter glazed double doors. Eaves supported at ends by C20 rendered walls with side lights, replacing original timber supports. The Brendon iron nines opened 1851; the final section of the mineral railway to the coast, the incline from Camberow to the summit at Brendon Hill opened 1861. Mining finally ceased in 1910. (VCH Somerset, vol 5, forthcoming; Sellick, The West Somerset Mineral Railway 1970).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.