You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 264837  

Print Page



© Mr John Chester

IoE Number: 264837
Location: CHURCH OF ST GILES,
  OLD CLEEVE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John Chester
Date Photographed: 10 April 2007
Date listed: 21 December 1984
Date of last amendment: 21 December 1984
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST03NWOLD CLEEVE CPLEIGHLAND CHAPEL4/80Church of St Giles

ST03NW OLD CLEEVE CP LEIGHLAND CHAPEL 4/80 Church of St Giles - GV II II Parish church. 1861-2 on site of earlier building. Architect C E Giles. Red sandstone random rubble, Bath stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges, decorative ridge tiles. Plan: 4 bay nave, South porch, West bell-cote, chancel, North vestry. Plain Geometrical style. Single storey bell-cast gabled porch, coped verges and kneelers, string course, arched entrance, 2 pairs of lancets and single sone to right, large stepped buttress, 2 lancets to chancel, 3-light East window, heated vestry on North front, 4 pairs of lancets to nave with central stepped buttress, 2-light West window flanked by buttresses, gabled ashlar bell-cote. Interior: rendered. Chancel: scissor truss roof. Foliage decorated capitals to responds of pointed chancel arch. Similar foliage decoration to pulpit and spandrels of reredos. East window dated 1889. Contemporary fittings included 2 parrafin lamps and a corona for candles. Wrought iron screens, late C20 by Rachel Recketts. Medieval tiles inlaid round font. (VCH Somerset, Vol 5, forthcoming).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.