You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 264865  

Print Page



© Mr Eddy Allen

IoE Number: 264865
Location: BINHAM FARMHOUSE,
  OLD CLEEVE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Eddy Allen
Date Photographed: 20 October 2001
Date listed: 22 May 1969
Date of last amendment: 22 May 1969
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST04SWOLD CLEEVE CP1/107Binham Farmhouse22.5.69

ST04SW OLD CLEEVE CP 1/107 Binham Farmhouse 22.5.69 GV II* Farmhouse, originally grange of Cleeve Abbey. C15, altered C16, 1624, reroofed C19 Northern part largely rebuilt with removal of later 3 storey addition (in North-West corner). Squared and coursed blue lias, red sandstone random rubble porch, slate roof hipped left, coped verges right, brick stack right gable end and rising from eaves to right of porch. L-plan with later additions, 3 cell and cross passage lying South-North, earlier wing South West corner with site of demolished stair turret in angle, later stair turret North West. Two storeys, 1:1:2 bays; C17 ovolo moulded mullioned casement left of full height porch with coped gable and finials, renewed mullions right, one 3-light casement left and two 4-light right of 5-light oriel window corbelled out, slate roofed pentice, groundfloor two 3-light left, two 4-light right of porch, moulded arched opening probably reset with hoodmould and diamond stops, square headed moulded inner wooden door frame, ribbed and panelled inner door. Coat of arms with date 1624 set above outer entrance. Left return 4-centred arched stone door frame, spandrels and hoodmoulded, rear elevation first floor alabaster depressed Tudor arch opening to stair turret. Interior: 8 panel compartment ceiling left of cross passage, 4 panel outer room right, number of moulded peaked doorframes and depressed 4-centre arch fireplaces including one in first floor room incorporating porch room with plasterwork overmantel showinq allegorical screen with Truth and Time, and moulded plasterwork frieze. The layout of the original grange is not clear; at the time of the Dissolution it was leased to tenants. The coat of arms is that of Robert Boteler the Younger who suceeded his father in 1624 as lessee of Henry Radcliff. (VCH Somerset, Vol 5, forthcoming; VAG Report, unpublished SRO, August 1982; Photograph in NMR).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.