© Mr George Stacey
THE OLD VICARAGE, HIGH STREET (south side)
STOGUMBER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr George Stacey
17 June 2002
28 April 1978
Date of last amendment:
28 April 1978
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST0937 STOGUMBER CP HIGH STREET (South side)
11/167 The Old Vicarage
Vicarage, now private dwelling. Mid-late C15, altered late C16-early C17, enlarged circa 1820, restored late C20.
Rendered over rubble with some cob in medieval wing, asbestos slate roof hipped to right North wing, brick stacks left
gable end, end bay right, and to right of centre in North wing. L-plan: medieval open hall house lying East-West with 2
storey lower end, ceiled to 3 cell and cross passage, small wedge shaped room at West end with newel stair, 2 cell
addition at North West end; subsequently modified. 2 storeys, 2:2 bays; leaded C20 casements in Medieval wing, entrance
centre left through chamfered arched stone doorway, C20 medieval-style door; North wing 16 pane sash windows first
floor, 20 pane sash windows below flanking Gothick arched doorway with panelled door. Single storey hipped addition on
South side. Interior not viewed. Said to contain left, evidence of open hall house with solar over service end to East,
remains of 2 stud and panel partitions, Eastern partition with two 4-centred arched openings, 4 long tenon jointed
cruck trusses with remains of 2 tiers of curved wind braces and 2 out of 3 tiers of purlins chamfered with runout
stops; renovations temporarily revealed splayed jambs to windows now blocked; North wing with king post roof and 6
panel doors with Greek fret decoration. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, August 1980).