You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 264963  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 264963
Location: THE CHANTRY, 5
  STOGUMBER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 22 May 1969
Date of last amendment: 21 December 1984
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST03NE STOGUMBER CP VELLOW 5/200 No 5 (The Chantry) (Previously listed as Vellow Chantry) 22.5.69 - II* Chantry chapel, converted to cottage. Early C16, altered and enlarged probably C17, restored mid C20. Red sandstone random rubble, quoins to West end, thatched roof, stone stack left gable end large external stepped stone stack right gable end with raking buttress and brick stack. Plan: barrel vaulted chantry chapel subsequently ceiled with 2 storey addition at East end. North front: one and a half storeys, 2-light dormer casement in addition left, groundfloor small glazed opening left of butt joint, right 2-light hollow chamfered mullioned casement window with Tudor arched head chamfered doorway, thatched hooded porch and C20 plank door. Interior: main feature is 4 x 4 compartment moulded ribbed barrel vaulted ceiling, moulded wall plate; blocked Tudor arched head to window on South wall, steeply chamfered beam with step and runout stops at East end of original building. The Chapel of Our Lady Sweetwell at Vellow was licenced 1542. (Photograph in NMR; VCH Somerset, Vol 5 forthcoming).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.