You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 265009  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 265009
Location: ORCHARD WYNDHAM AND BELVEDERE ADJOINING TO NORTH-EAST,
  WILLITON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 22 May 1969
Date of last amendment: 21 December 1984
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST03NEWILLITON CPORCHARD WYNDHAM5/243Orchard Wyndham and belvedereadjoining to North-East

ST03NE WILLITON CP ORCHARD WYNDHAM 5/243 Orchard Wyndham and belvedere adjoining to North-East (Orchard Wyndam previously listed) 22.5.69 GV 1 Country house. Medieval in origin, enlarged late C15-early C16, early C17, staircase inserted in the courtyard circa 1700, West wing demolished, facade refronted and refenestrated circa 1830, porch added and part of south west front gabled and refronted circa 1860. 1830's work probably by Richard Carver. Part roughcast over random rubble red sandstone, hipped slate roofs behind parapet, rendered stacks. Plan: evolution unclear, 2 adjoining courtyards, central medieval hall ceiled, courtyard to North west filled circa 1700 with staircase, late C15 open hall beyond on facade, adjoining North east wing with depressed Tudor arched opening in wall linking 2 storey belvedere. 2 storeys, 1:5 bays, irregularly placed early C19 4 x 5-light Tudor arched headed casements with hood moulds, central full height Tudor arched 6 x 4 pane window with glazed double doors below, fronted by porch, central 3 bays roughcast, shallow brick relieving arch to outer bay left, stone relieving arch to outer bay right, casement cutting remains of cinquefoil headed blocked light, remains of quoins set in at first floor level, moulded arched opening below which probably gave access to demolished West wing. Re-entrant angle of cross wing left, 4 bays with 2-light casements first floor, 2-light mullioned and transomed window groundfloor left. Flat roofed single storey porch, partially glazed door with sidelights. Belvedere: 2 storeys over basement set into hillside designed as 3 storey, square blank panels entrance at first floor level through semi-circular headed brick porch. Interior not viewed. Said to contain ice house with access from roadway level above on North East front. Interior: late C15 decorative arch braced roof to open hall, lower section of oriel bay, moulded Tudor arch lateral fireplace, early C18 raised and fielded panelling. Also said to contain 3 and a half bay jointed cruck roof, and another arch braced roofed with stud and panel partition, Good collection of panelling - late C16-early C18, late C16 plasterwork ribbed ceiling, plasterwork friezes; collection of fireplaces including some from demolished house at Silverton, Devon; circa 1700 Stair with carved string. Despite unprepossessing exterior by Carver, a remarkably unaltered collection of interior fittings C16- early C18 including 3 Medieval hall roofs. (VCH Somerset, vol 5, forthcoming).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.