No Image Available
EAST QUANTOXHEAD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
22 May 1969
Date of last amendment:
22 May 1969
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST1343 EAST QUANTOXHEAD CP
13/73 Court House
Manor House. Medieval tower, wall adjacent in South East corner and West range, front block 1614 and 1624, addition at
rear 1659. Blue lias random rubble, slate roof behind parapet with moulded cornice, stone stacks. Plan: around
courtyard, hall entered from 2-storey porch with screens passage, parlour to South, North East drawing room wing,
stairwell behind kitchen on North front, tower and service area to West. 2-storeys, 1:1:1:1:1 bays, recessed unlit bay
left, 2-storey porch and projecting wing right, stone ovolo moulded mullioned and transomed windows, some with original
leading, under hood moulds, all 4-light except for 3-light in porch with coats of arms in recessed panel below.
Moulded, arched entrance outer bay left and to porch, segmental headed inner door, moulded jambs and stops, C17 studded
door. Left return, South front overlooking Church of St Mary (qv). Remains of medieval building, crenellated East end
with merlons pierced with quatrefoil decoration and shields continued as wooden parapet, evidence of refenestration
below. Medieval 4-storey crenellated tower at rear. Interior: notable collection of 7 plasterwork lower mantels
mostly with biblical scenes, some with supporters and strapwork decoration one dated 1614, another 1629; plasterwork
friezes; a number of moulded 4 centred arch doorways, C17 doors; Jacobean dog leg stair with pyramidal turned
balusters. (VCH Somerset Vol 5 forthcoming; photograph in NMR; Country Life, February 3, 1912).