You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 265126  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 265126
Location: MANOR MILL AND ATTACHED MILL BUILDINGS TO NORTH WEST,
  EAST QUANTOXHEAD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 13 October 2005
Date listed: 22 May 1969
Date of last amendment: 22 May 1969
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST1343EAST QUANTOXHEAD CP13/79Manor Mill and attatched millbuildings to North West22.5.69

ST1343 EAST QUANTOXHEAD CP 13/79 Manor Mill and attatched mill buildings to North West 22.5.69 - II Mill and Millhouse. Dated 1725. Mill house lias random rubble, rough cast returns and rear, thatched roof with ridge tiles, half hipped wing at rear, brick stacks left and right gable ends. "L"-plan, single storey brick addition in angle. One and a half storeys, 3 bays all windows wooden early C20, 2 eyebrow dormers with 3-light casement windows left, one 3-light right set just below eaves, ground floor 2- and 3-light with entrance end bay left. Depressed arch door, steeply chamfered architrave with pegged shoulders, plank doors with ledged surround. Left return blocked opening in gabled end perhaps lighting stair originally, date stone. Interior not viewed. Mill attatched at North West corner; lias random rubble, gabled slate roof 2 and a half storeys, unglazed opening gable end, similar below, ground floor opening to left of stable-type door. Overshot wooden water wheel, almost completely disintegrated, but some flour milling machinery survives. Recessed door in return angle links mill building to mill house. Rebuilt in 1725 after a fire, this was a flour mill until the 1920's. (VCH Somerset, Vol 5 forthcoming; photograph in NMR).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.