© Mr John Robins
ALFOXTON PARK HOTEL, ALFOXTON
HOLFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr John Robins
12 August 2002
22 May 1969
Date of last amendment:
22 May 1969
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST14SW HOLFORD CP ALFOXTON
5/86 Alfoxton Park Hotel
Country house, now hotel. C18, refenestrated and re-roofed C19. Rendered over rubble, shallow pedimented central block
breaks forward slightly, dentil cornice continued around tympanum, bitumen covered hipped slate roof, overhanging
eaves, independently roofed asbestos slate covered addition left with central brick stacks, other brick stacks to rear
of main block. Plan: double pile, addition to left originally an orangery. Main block: 2 and a half storeys, 2:3:2
bays, flat headed 4-light dormer casements flanking pediment with circular window in tympanum, all other windows long
C19 2-light casements, keystones and blind boxes. Central pedimented Doric porch, frieze and dentil cornice, C20 half
glazed double doors. Groundfloor 2 bays right largely obscured by ivy at time of survey (August 1983). Right, 5 bay
addition, steeply pitched roof continued over verandah carried on circular rendered piers, St. Albyn crest on wall.
Left 5 bay return, 2 segmental headed dormers, similar fenestration to facade. Interior: much altered C19 and C20.
Listed for architectural and historic interest, the home of William and Dorothy Wordsworth between July 1797 and June
1798. Dorothy began her journal here in January 1798 but discontinued it 2 months later to recommence when the couple
moved to the Lake District. (Photograph in NMR; Moorman, M (ed) Journals of Dorothy Wordsworth, 1971).