You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 265142  

Print Page



© Mr John Robins

IoE Number: 265142
Location: DODINGTON HALL,
  HOLFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John Robins
Date Photographed: 12 August 2002
Date listed: 22 May 1969
Date of last amendment: 16 November 1984
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST14SEHOLFORD CPDODINGTON6/109Dodington Hall(previously listed as DodingtonHall

ST14SE HOLFORD CP DODINGTON 6/109 Dodington Hall (previously listed as Dodington Hall Farmhouse) 22.5.69 GV II* Manor house. C15, enlarged and refenestrated 1581, minor alterations mid C18 service end to East of screens passage rebuilt late C19. Service end to left of porch red sandstone random rubble, tile roof earlier building to right rendered, slate roof, coped verges, brick stacks and large external stepped stone stack right return of parlour and tall stone stack rising from eaves to left of porch. Plan; screens passage with 2 storey porch, open hall masked on facade by addition of 2 bay parlour wing, brewhouse set back at West end, service wing to East of cross passage. Two and a half and 2 storeys, 1:2:1:1:2:1 bays; ovolo moulded mullions, hoodmoulds; 3 bay service end, gabled end bay with small opening in apex, 2 gabled dormers to right flanking stack, first floor 3-light casements, ground floor two 4- and one 3-light casement, gabled 2 storey porch 2-light casement, moulded arched entrance, C19 inner door partly glazed, exposed rafters to upper floor, small window to hall right, projecting parlour wing 3-light casement left, 4-light mullioned and transomed window in gabled crossing right, groundfloor two 4-light mullioned and transomed windows, small windows in inner corner of long brewhouse wing. Hall lit in rear elevation. Interior not viewed; known to contain a splendid C15 arch braced roof with wavy collars, with cusped cross wind braces, carved stone overmantel with supporters dated 1581, coeval reconstructed oriel to dining room with moulded rafters, plaster frieze and C18 fireplace. The mechanism of a water driven spit is said to survive in the cellar below the kitchen, also heraldic glass of circa 1485 in parlour wing. (VCH Somerset, Vol.5 forthcoming; photographs in NMR),

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.