You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 265251  

Print Page



© Mr Kevin White LBPPA

IoE Number: 265251
Location: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS,
  STRINGSTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Kevin White LBPPA
Date Photographed: 12 September 2002
Date listed: 22 May 1969
Date of last amendment: 22 May 1969
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST14SESTRINGSTON CPKILTON6/203Church of St. Nicholas22.5.69

ST14SE STRINGSTON CP KILTON 6/203 Church of St. Nicholas 22.5.69 II Parish Church. C14 chancel, lower stages of tower and plan cf nave, late C15 - early C16 referestration 1861-4 lancets inserted in chancel, upper stage of tower added and Church extensively restored and partially rebuilt. Architect John Norton. Red sandstone random rubble, Ham stone quoins and dressings, plain tiled roof, coped verges. 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, vestry, South porch, West tower. 3 stage crenellated tower with pyramid plain tile roof and gargoyles, diagonal buttresses, 2-light bell openings with Somerset tracery resting on string course, 2-light west end window, 2 stage stair turret with lean-to stone slate roof in South East corner. 3-light window left and 2-light right of gabled porch, moulded arch entrance with sundial in gable end inscribed Govett 1707. Large stepped buttress at South East corner of nave. Pair of lancets to left and one to right of priest's door, 3 lancets at East end, vestry on North front flanked by lancets. North wall of nave has lancet and two 2-light windows flanked by stepped buttresses. Interior: rendered, remains of stencilled dado, friezes and inscriptions of mid C19. C19 screen and pulpit, latter incorporating a few medieval pieces of woodwork. Fine late medieval font with remains of coloured decoration. Remain of brass to Charles Stemages and his wife Margaret Pollard. (VCH Somerset, Vol.5 forthcoming).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.