You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 265273  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 265273
Location: ST AUDRIE'S SCHOOL,
  WEST QUANTOXHEAD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 20 September 2005
Date listed: 16 November 1984
Date of last amendment: 16 November 1984
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST14SWWEST QUANTOXHEAD CP5/210St. Audries School-

ST14SW WEST QUANTOXHEAD CP 5/210 St. Audries School - GV II Country house, now school. Earlier house almost if not completely rebuilt and enlarged between 1835, purchase of estate by Sir Peregins Acland) and 1870. Stable block, service end and part of North front, Richard Carver 1830s and '40s, rest by John Norton, builder William Shewbrooks of Taunton. Ashlar Sampford Brett red sandstone facade, earlier parts faced in ashlar limestone, Bath stone dressings, plain tile roof, decorative ridge tiles, coped verges with kneelers, finials on gable ends, ashlar stacks. Plan: great hall facing Southwest entered under oriel tower, projecting gabled wing to South (Morning Room), long North East garden front, service courtyard that may contain part of earlier dwelling behind, large stable courtyard at rear. Tudor Gothic style. Two and a half storeys, 4 stage tower, 1:1:1:4:1 bays; all Tudor arch head's, gabled projecting bay left, 2-light casement gable end, 4-light mullioned and transomed windows below, 2-light mullioned and transomed window to right first floor, crenellated tower with 3 stage oriel bay corbelled out with 4-light mullioned and transomed windows, entrance below, crenellated, octagonal stair turret to left, hall four long 3-light mullioned and transomed windows, leaded panes, flanked by stepped buttresses linked to corbelled cornice. To right 3-light casement in gable end of Morning Room bay, below 2 storey crenellated central bay, 5-light mullioned and transomed windows. Entrance 4 centred arch opening, square hood mould, decorated spandrals, double doors with studs. Inscription on corbelled base of oriel 'Except the Lord build the house they laboureth in vain that build it' with Acland coat of arms and motto 'Zealous'. Left return garden front of many gables and canted bays, only the library bay at the west end faced in red sandstone. Stable courtyard; random rubble crenellated gateway with finials, large central depressed arch opening flanked by 2 smaller ones, gable with coat of arms, by Carver. Interior: screes passage, wooden 3 bay Perpendicular arcade carrying minstrel's gallery, North West wall 4 bay arcade interrupted by hood moulded fireplace corridor behind, linenfold panelling, arch braced collar truss roof with 3 tiers of quatrefoil wind bracing, remains of fresco on South East wall. Rococo style decoration in Drawing Room, best work ribbed plaster ceiling with pendant in Dining Room. Rather disappointing interior after assured and confident facade, St. Audries become a girls' school in 1934. (Photograph in NMR; The Architect, September 21, 1872; Country Life, June 23, 1934; VCH Somerset, Vol,5 forthcoming).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.