© Mr R.M Rayner
DOVERHAY READING ROOM AND COTTAGE ABUTTING NORTH END,
PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr R.M Rayner
23 August 2000
22 May 1969
Date of last amendment:
22 May 1969
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SS8846 PORLOCK CP DOVERHAY
24/48 Doverhay Reading Rooa and cottage
abutting north end
Manor house, now dwelling, museum and information centre. Late C15, extended possibly C17, extensively restored c1895
by Edmund Buckle. Roughcast over rubble, exposed (right) gable end, quoins, slate roofs, coped verges to rain block,
external stone stack right in gable end and rising at rear of main block. L-plan: central hall with addition left,
cross wing projecting right. One and a half and two storeys, lower independently roofed addition left with C19 casement
rising through eaves, pentice hood to 3-light bay window, door to right with pentice porch; main block, first floor
2-light ovolo moulded mullion window, ground floor good 8-light mullioned and transomed Perpendicular window under hood
mould with C19 ferramentae, depressed 4-centred arch moulded doorframe right, independently roofed wing right, stair
light gable end, leaded casements with carved oak frames and Perpendicular tracery, extensively renewed late C19.
Interior: partially sighted, hall fine ogee-headed lintel to fireplace carried on shaped corbels, renewed 6-panel
compartment ceiling, stone newel stair, ogee headed doorframe, arched wooden door frame in upper storey with exposed
3-bay arch braced roof, moulded wall plate; wing not seen. Restored at the expense of Sir Charles Chadwyck-Healey.
(Photograph in NMR; Chadwyck-Healey, The History of the Part of West Somerset, 1901).