You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 265575  

Print Page



© Mr Garry Mayo

IoE Number: 265575
Location: CHURCH OF ST GILES,
  WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Garry Mayo
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 06 April 1959
Date of last amendment: 06 April 1959
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SS83SEWITHYPOOL CPHAWKRIDGE18/161

SS83SE WITHYPOOL CP HAWKRIDGE 18/161 Church of St Giles 6.4.59 GV II* Parish church. Norman south door, C14 chancel and base of tower, rest Perpendicular, restored 1878. Local stone random rubble, plinth to chancel, Ham stone dressings slate roofs. West tower, 3-bay nave, chancel, Crenellated 2-stage tower, diagonal buttresses to second stage string course, louvred lancet bell opening, 4-light west window, unmoulded semi-circular headed doorway to C19 west door, crenellated north east stair turret; buttress to south west corner of nave, 2-light window left of gabled, single storey porch with C19 semi-circular arched opening, semi-circular headed Norman doorway with zig-zag moulding to extrados, capitals with incised design, renewed inner arch, chamfered jambs, C19 door; right 3-light trefoil headed mullioned window set into rebuilt section of nave wall, chamfered corner at junction with chancel, 2-light chancel window, 3-light east window; north front unlit with rood stair projection and lean-to roofed addition thought to contain boiler for heating system. Interior: rendered. Shallow chancel arch, unchamfered 4-centred tower arch. C19 shallow ceiled wagon roof to chancel , C19 ceiled wagon roof to nave. Panelled screen to tower arch. Norman baluster font, cable moulded with incised grid pattern to bowl. C13 stone coffin lid, chamfered cornice defaced foliage cross, incised with inscription 'William ...... lies here'; thought to refer to William de Plessy, Lord of the manor, died 1274. This was found in wall behind pulpit in 1877 and removed from the church, only to be returned in 1931. Painted Royal Coat of Arms of Queen Victoria on chancel arch wall inscribed 'WHM and JC churchwardens 1877', (Photograph in NMR).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.