You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 265578  

Print Page



© Mr Garry Mayo

IoE Number: 265578
Location: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW,
  WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Garry Mayo
Date Photographed: 12 July 2001
Date listed: 06 April 1959
Date of last amendment: 06 April 1959
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SS83NWWITHYPOOL CPWITHYPOOL VILLAGE12/163Church of St Andrew

SS83NW WITHYPOOL CP WITHYPOOL VILLAGE 12/163 Church of St Andrew 6.4.59 GV II* Parish church. Late medieval, tower rebuilt early C17, restored and refitted 1887, restored extensively and tower rebuilt again 1902, latter work by W H Farings. Random rubble local stone, slate roofs, coped verges, decorative ridge tiles. Chancel, 3-bay nave and north aisle, west tower. Crenellated 2-stage west tower, diagonal buttresse to first stage, datestone of 1902 on south east face of south west buttress, early medieval carved stone with part of a cross set into north west buttress, north east stair turret to first stage, string course, single semi-circular headed louvred bell openings, 2-light west window, chamfered semi-circular headed west doorway with weatherworn stone to north referring to C17 rebuilding of tower; south front buttress between tower and nave, single storey gabled porch, semi-circular headed openings and C19 inner door, nave 3-light mullioned window, 2-light to chancel, 3-light east window, 3-light east end of north aisle, one 3-light window on north front. Interior: rendered. C19 roofs, archbraced to aisle, kingpost in nave. Moulded semi-circular tower arch with unusual, possibly C17, pilasters carrying imposts on jambs, closed by panelling, possibly C18. Three bay Perpendicular arcade with pointed, hollow moulded arches and thin imposts. C18 panelling at north end of aisle forming vestry. Norman font, fluted bowl with chevron moulded rim. Fittings of 1887. Aumbry in chancel wall c1970. Slate tablet to Dorothy Adams, died 1804. The living is a chapelry annexed to the rectory of Hawkridge. Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, l958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.