You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 265596  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 265596
Location: BARLINCH FARMHOUSE AND REMAINS OF ST NICHOLAS PRIORY ADJOINING TO WEST,
  BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 18 August 2005
Date listed: 06 April 1959
Date of last amendment: 06 April 1959
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SS92NW BROMPTON REGIS CP-9/10Barlinch Farmhouse and remains ofSt Nicholas Priory adjoining to

SS92NW BROMPTON REGIS CP - 9/10 Barlinch Farmhouse and remains of St Nicholas Priory adjoining to west 6.4.59 - II Farmhouse and remains of priory. Medieval remains probably partly incorporated into C16-C17 farmhouse, subsequently altered, enlaarged to east C19, wall to left of easterly stack built out and house refenestrated mid C20. Farmhouse; random rubble local stone, roughcast at rear, 3 slate roofs of differing levels, stone stack left gable end, large roughcast lateral stack to left of entrance with slate roofed bread oven projection, another lateral stack to right in set back wing. Irregular plan facing south with remains of priory abutting south-west corner. Two storeys, one bay left, wall breaks forward with single bays flanking lateral stack, set back on a squint 1:2 bays right, all C20 2-light casements, except for first floor end bay right early C19 leaded 2-light window, concrete sills, C20 door to left of westerly stack, with slate roof pentice porch on wooden column, plank door in end bay right. Remains of priory: random rubble local stone much overgrown with ivy at time of survey (June l985) and obscured by vegetation. Walls rising to a maximum of about 5 m, with roughly 2 adjoining L-plan shapes with evidence of buttress and jambs of window opening on south front, in all about 30 m in length. According to the previous list a small piece of tracery is said to have been inserted in a modern wall of a farmbuildinq adjoining to the north. The priory of St Nicholas was founded by the Austin Canons c1174, and was affiliated to Cleeve Abbey, it was dissolved c1537. The walls are a Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset County No 182). (Photograph in nmr).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.