You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 265607  

Print Page



© Mr Peter McLaren

IoE Number: 265607
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN,
  BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Peter McLaren
Date Photographed: 05 August 2005
Date listed: 06 April 1959
Date of last amendment: 04 August 1986
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SS93SE BROMPTON REGIS CPBROMPTON REGIS VILLAGE4/28Church of St Mary

SS93SE BROMPTON REGIS CP BROMPTON REGIS VILLAGE 4/28 Church of St Mary (formerly listed as Church of St Mary the Virgin) 6.4.59 GV II* Parish church. C13 tower, c1490 nave rebuilt with north aisle, restored 1853 and 1885 when reroofed, chancel rebuilt and south transept added, tower restored 1895, chapel restored 1962. Random rubble local stone, flat bedded in tower, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, 4-bay nave, south transept, south porch, 4-bay north aisle and chapel, chancel. Crenellated 3-stage tower, diagonal buttresses to first stage pair of louvred lancet bell-openings, string course, narrow lancet, C19 2-light west window; 3-light windows flanking single storey gabled porch, C19 pointed arch outer doorway, C15 moulded pointed arch inner doorway partly renewed with C19 door, 3-light to transept, diagonal infill at junction with nave, similar to that at Church of St Nicholas, Brushford CP (qv), priests floor, 2-light south chancel window, 3-light east end, 4-light to east end of chapel with set back buttresses, one 3-light window left of square rood stair projection with lancet, 4 right between stepped buttresses, 3-light west end. Interior: rendered. Pointed C19 tower and chancel arches, former with corbelled inner arch, similar to south transept. C19 open timber roofs. Perpendicular arcade with vine-leaf capitals, eastern capital recarved. Hollow chamfer 4-centred arch to rood stair with stairs in situ; small arched niche in south chapel, presumably aumbry; trefoil headed opening in north side of chancel wall, possibly hagioscope but not set diagonally. Pointed arch opening between chancel and nave now giving access to pulpit. Pulpit dated 1625. C19 font. Organ in sout transept with plaque: "Restored George Ormond, Taunton"; the pipes are painted battleship grey. Can this be the same "pretty organ case in the Arts and Crafts style" which Pevsner commented on? The organ is said in the church guide to be by T C Lewis, 1872, and the case dated 1897. Brass in chancel to Joan Dyke, died 1605, and her husband Thomas, died 1639; memorial to Elizabeth Joyce, died l794, in chancell floor slab to John Mellon, died l703, in nave. (Kellys Directory, 1914; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.