You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 265622  

Print Page



© Mr Peter McLaren

IoE Number: 265622
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE,
  BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Peter McLaren
Date Photographed: 05 August 2005
Date listed: 06 April 1959
Date of last amendment: 06 April 1959
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SS93SE BROMPTON REGIS CPWITHIEL FLOREY

SS93SE BROMPTON REGIS CP WITHIEL FLOREY 4/34 Church of St Mary Magdalene 6.4.59 GV II Parish church. C12 in origin, C15 nave lengthened, tower and porch added, 1848 vestry added. Roughcast over flat bedded lias, red sandstone dressings, slate roofs, plain verges. West tower without stair turret, 2-bay nave with rood stair projection, south porch, 2-storey vestry with access to pulpit, single storey vestry opening out of chancel and containing organ, 2-bay chancel. Crenellated 2-stage diagonally buttressed tower, string courses, west front lit only by C19 3-light west window, north front 2-light trefoil headed louvred bell-opening, south front 2 small rectangular openings in upper stage, other openings possibly concealed beneath roughcast, 2-light window left of gabled single storey porch, pointed arch opening with C19 corbelled and ribbed inner arch, plastered barrel vault with moulded ribs, bosses and wallplate, segmental headed inner doorway, remains of medieval door with medieval iron work, tablet in gable end dated 1695. 3-light window right, rood stair projection with lancet, 2-light windows to diagonally buttressed chancel, chamfered, semi-circular headed priest's door, 3-light east window, vestry with lancet at east end, C20 half glazed door to upper room presumably over basement, 2-light C15 trefoil headed window right partially cut by vestry additon, otherwise north wall unlit with large rubble buttress. Interior: rendered. Nave walls very thick and splayed out. C19 pointed chancel arch, moulded 4-centered tower arch. Roofs: C19 arch braced roof on corbels to chancel, shallow plastered wagon roof to nave. Circular Norman font. C19 fittings including pulpit, harmonium, wrought iron altar rails, 2 wrought iron lamp holders in sanctuary and 4 corona lamp holders with crested decoration suspended by chains and still used to light the church. Mid C18 pedimented marble tablet with volutes and palm leaf decoration to the Bryant family. Access to the puipit is via the small meeting room on the north front. (Photograph in NMR).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.