You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 265893  

Print Page



© Mr Robert Atkins

IoE Number: 265893
Location: ABBEY HOUSE, CHILKWELL STREET (south west side)
  GLASTONBURY, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Robert Atkins
Date Photographed: 02 January 2006
Date listed: 20 June 1973
Date of last amendment: 15 March 1974
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CHILKWELLL STREETll33(South West Side)The Abbey RetreatHouse(formerly listed as

863/8/69 CHILKWELL STREET 20-JUN-73 (Southwest side) THE ABBEY RETREAT HOUSE (Formerly listed as: CHILKWELL STREET ABBEY HOUSE) GV II* CHILKWELLL STREET 1. ll33 (South West Side) The Abbey Retreat House (formerly listed as Abbey House) ST 5038 8/69 20.6.73 II* GV 2. House; now Church of England retreat. 1829-30; by John Buckler, for John Reeves. Altered and extended circa 1850-60; altered 1957. Tudor Gothic. 2 storeys plus attics in gables. Freestone. 3 gabled bays come forward, the central bay with entrance. Moulded cornice. Crenellated parapets. Slate roof. Clustered stacks. Stringcourse. Moulded plinth. 6 mullioned and transomed windows of 2 and 3 lights with arched heads, all in square hoodmoulds. Central 1st floor window has carved corbel in form of an oriel. 4-centred arched doorway with carved spandrels. Double doors under porch. Lower 2-storey 4-window wing to right. Attached to north side of the house the service wing was extended into a small stable yard in about 1850-60. INTERIOR largely intact, including Tudor style panelled doors in moulded doorcases, moulded plaster ceiling cornices and friezes, panelled window shutters, chimneypieces and original cantilevered main staircase with a Gothick cast-iron balustrade and servants' stairs with stick balusters. In 1957 the drawing room was converted into a chapel and the window on the east side was blocked. The Abbey Retreat House, Glastonbury Abbey (see Magdalene Street), Wall around grounds of the Abbey and Abbey Retreat House, and the listed buildings from No 3 to No 17 Chilkwell Street (North east side), all form an important group. NOTE: In 1825-6 the ruins of Glastobury Abbey were bought by John Reeves, who commissioned John Buckler to design this house, which was built in 1829-30 with the ruins of the Abbey in the grounds. An early example of the Tudor Gothic style, designed by the architect and antiquarian draughtsman, John Buckler.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.