© Mr Michael Perry
THE TRIBUNAL, HIGH STREET (north side)
GLASTONBURY, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Mr Michael Perry
23 November 2006
21 June 1950
Date of last amendment:
15 March 1974
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
(formerly listed as
ST 4938 7/37 21.6.50.
Early C16 facade to a C15 structure. The Abbey courthouse, also used during the
Monmouth Rebellion trials by Judge Jeffreys. 2 storeys Freestone. Ground floor
has a continuous range of 8 lights divided by stone mullions, and a doorway to
left. The wooden door is original. Panels above the doorway have Tudor Rose and
Tudor Royal Arms. In centre of 1st floor is a splayed oriel of 6 lights with a
2-light window to each side. All lights have uncusped heads. Moulded strings
and parapet coping. Pantile roof. Interior has open timber roofs, some moulded
plaster ceilings and fireplaces. Contains museum of Glastonbury Antiquarian Society.
In guardianship of Department of Environment.
All the listed buildings from Crown Hotel to No 11 (North side) and Nos 2 to 10,
with No 12 (South side), and the Market Cross and Nos 6 to 9 (consec) Market Place
form an extremely important group.