No Image Available
ALMSHOUSES AND CHAPEL OF ST MARY MAGDALENE'S HOSPITAL, MAGDALENE STREET (west side)
GLASTONBURY, MENDIP, SOMERSET
21 June 1950
Date of last amendment:
15 March 1974
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
Almshouses and Chapel
of St Mary Magdalene's
Hospital (formerly listed
as St Mary's Almshouses)
ST 4938 7/81 21.6.50.
Founded before 1322 to house 10 poor men. The present buildings seem mostly late
medieval. The chapel, east wall and gable of hall with bell-cote, the west wall
and lower part of west gable survive. Originally the chapel opened out of the
east end of a great hall. The roof of this hall is thought to have been removed
after the Dissolution, and 2 rows of little houses were built facing a narrow central
passage. Only the north range survives with entrance from street through an arch
in east end. 5 houses in range. 2 storeys. Random rubble. Slate roof. Chimney-stack
at west end. 5 windows. Paired wood casements to left and paired mullioned windows
to right. 5 doorways (2 blocked) with arched heads. Plain wooden doors. The chapel
is basically Perp with a single lancet (blocked) in east wall. Slate roof, lowered
in pitch. Tiny 3-light windows under rectangular hoodmoulds. Small piscina and
boarded roof with paterae inside. Pointed west arch with double wooden doors.