You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 266139  

Print Page



© Ms Geraldine Bunn LRPS

IoE Number: 266139
Location: CHRIST CHURCH, CHRISTCHURCH STREET WEST (south west side)
  FROME, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Ms Geraldine Bunn LRPS
Date Photographed: 14 February 2002
Date listed: 22 July 1949
Date of last amendment: 22 July 2049
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

5363CHRISTCHURCH STREET WEST(South-West side)ST 7747 NW 9/2GVChrist Church22.7.49Christ Church

1. 5363 CHRISTCHURCH STREET WEST (South-West side) ST 7747 NW 9/2 GV Christ Church 22.7.49 Christ Church II* 2. Original church built 1817-1818, architect G A Underwood. Refenestrated 1840s by Manners and Gill; east extension 1904-05 by W George Brown; south transept 1899; "North transept" 1929 by Sir Harold Brakespeare. Rubble built. The 1818 church was an aisled nave with crenellated east tower with clasping buttresses. Perpendicular style, traceried openwork parapets (and verges to east), pinnacles and gargoyles over buttresses (1851). Cruciform plan. 4 bays, tracery based on that of Yatton (near Bristol), 2 smaller flanking bays (the right hand one had door with crocketted ogee label). South transept has ogee capped bell turret; gabled east chapel. Projecting later chancel (Lady Chapel built 1929) with clasping octagonal buttresses, cornice and ashlar parapet. West front: projecting side buttresses clasping nave end south aisle corners, pinnacles to aisle, blind panels to nave. Large central Perpendicular style window (1865) above which is corbel for former finial. Gothic panelled doors (1918). One original 'Y' tracery window retained at west end of south aisle. Interior: piers of arcade reinforced but still quadrilobe. Good carved oak altar placed under tower with decorated reredos, flanking sedilia and panelled arcade. Large rood of 1910. A number of minor wall monuments. The graveyard has a number of plain railed graves, one is oval shaped and has ornamental iron overthrow inscribed in memory of Thomas Bunn (died 1853), a prominent local worthy. (See Church Guide by D J Gill).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.