You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 266936  

Print Page



©  Brendan Balhetchet LRPS

IoE Number: 266936
Location: FORMER VILLAGE READING ROOM,
  WITHAM FRIARY, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Brendan Balhetchet LRPS
Date Photographed: 10 August 2001
Date listed: 11 March 1968
Date of last amendment: 11 March 1968
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

S174SWWITHAM FRIARY CP6/238Former Village Reading Room11.3.68

S174SW WITHAM FRIARY CP 6/238 Former Village Reading Room 11.3.68 GV II* Former village reading room, once dovecot, now store. Circa 1300, attached to Carthusian Priory, substantially remodelled and restored by Gill in 1900 for the Duke of Somerset. Local limestone rubble, squared quoins, diagonal 2 stage buttresses, plain tile roof with bellcast and parapets, brick stack to left. Rectangular, Tudoresque gabled facade. 3 window height, though interior unfloored, one bay, 5-light chamfered stone mullions window to first floor, above, small square attic light. Central door opening, chamfered segmental headed stone surround, plank door, strap hinges with Art Noveau motif. Tall 2-light mullion and transom window in left return. Single storey pent roofed outshut to right side. Interior contains traces of pigeon holes, and fireplace of the restoration, being a copy of that at the Charterhouse of Mount Grace in Yorkshire.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.