You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 267107  

Print Page



© Mr Robert O. Caudwell

IoE Number: 267107
Location: MURTRY AQUEDUCT,
  BUCKLAND DINHAM, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Robert O. Caudwell
Date Photographed: 16 August 1999
Date listed: 29 April 1983
Date of last amendment: 16 November 1984
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST74NEGREAT ELM CPMURTRY BOTTOM7/161Murtry Aqueduct(previously listed in Buckland

ST74NE GREAT ELM CP MURTRY BOTTOM 7/161 Murtry Aqueduct (previously listed in Buckland Dinham and Selwood Civil Parishes) 29.4.83 - II Former aqueduct carrying disused canal over Mells River. Aqueduct. C 1795. Doulting stone, sandstone coping to parapets. Three arch span, supporting channel c 12 m wide and 1.75 m deep, and with c 17m run of retaining wall to the East, on the South side of aqueduct. Flat segmental arches with clear span c 6.1 m and rise c 1.5 m with triple projecting keystones and y-jointed voussoirs tapered in depth from crown to springing-point, set in rusticated spandrels under flat projecting string. Above the string plain ashlar parapet c 1.7 m deep, coped with heavy sandstone blocks with rounded saddleback profile moulded to outer face only. Between arches, trianglular cutwaters and at ends of walling and between arches, v-jointed ashlared pilasters carried through full height. Maximum overall lenght of parapet on South side c 38 m, and on North side c 21.5 m; river width c 20 m. This is one of very few structures remaining on a branch of the proposed Dorset and Somerset Canal which was begun in the last decade of the C18, but abandoned in 1803. Murtry Aqueduct is a good quality design with some architectural pretension; at the time of the survey, the arches, spandrels and abutments appeared to be sound, apart from the loss of some voussoir stones at the cutwaters. The parapet walling also looks sound, but the proposed channel is filled with earth and growing undergrowth and trees. (Robin Atthill, Old Mendip, pages 165-177, 1971; Kenneth Clew, The Dorset and Somerset Canal, 1971).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.