© Mr Ronald J Smith LRPS
CHURCH OF ST KATHERINE,
SELWOOD, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Mr Ronald J Smith LRPS
27 October 1999
11 March 1968
Date of last amendment:
11 March 1968
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST74SE SELWOOD CP
9/430 Church of St. Katherine
Church. Classically influenced tower of c1712; nave, chancel, north and south aisles, and south porch added by J. L.
Pearson in 1880 in a mixture of Geometrical and Decorated styles. Rubble, tile roofs, coped verges, cruciform finials.
Ashlar west tower with 2 orders of angle pilasters terminating in pinnacles; stringcourse and cornice; tall stone
spire, 3 light mullioned and transomed bell openings; 4-light semi-circular headed west window with a transom and
tracery to its head. Buttressed nave of 2 bays, paired windows in pointed arch surrounds, 2 bay chancel in similar
style; sill band; 3 light east window. Interior with a C18 carved wooden pulpit; C15 octagonal font with a Jacobean
cover; further C19 interior features including reredos sedilia and wrought iron decoration to chancel rail.