You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 267447  

Print Page



© Mr Arthur A. Chapman FRICS

IoE Number: 267447
Location: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE,
  TELLISFORD, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Arthur A. Chapman FRICS
Date Photographed: 24 March 2003
Date listed: 11 March 1968
Date of last amendment: 11 March 1968
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST75SETELLISFORD CPWOOLVERTON4/498Church of St. Lawrence

ST75SE TELLISFORD CP WOOLVERTON 4/498 Church of St. Lawrence 11.3.68 GV II Church. C14 and early C15, restored in C19. Coursed rough faced Doulting stone and plain clay tile roofs with coped gables, finials and crosses. West Tower, Nave with South Porch and Chancel. Tower in 3 stages and 2 stage octagonal spire with finial and weather vane. Quatrefoil cusped openings on 4 sides, now blocked. 2-light windows to bell-chamber, blocked on East side. Battlemented parapet. To West of Tower, a vestibule with diagonal corner buttresses, slate roof with coped gable. Nave, two 2-light windows and central South porch with diagonal corner buttresses, slate roof with coped gable. Three, 2-light windows on North side. Chancel, single 2-light window rebuilt 1888/9. Early English cusped tracery under cusped arches with drip moulds. Interior: South Porch has pointed stone vault with 3 ribs on carved corbels and pointed arch to entrance, door vertical boarded with "Y" framework. Nave: barrel roof with 3-tie beams, plaster ceiling has been removed. Chancel arch said to be C13, pine boarded and panelled ceiling to Chancel. Perpendicular style font. C17 chairs, stools and altar table. Memorials include Thomas Wooley 1835, Thomas Meade 1845. External: On South East quoin stone to Nave, 3 inscribed dials; and on South East quoin to Chancel, inscribed in fine lettering "BM 212 FEET ABOVE THE SEA'.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.