You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 267560  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 267560
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER, HIGH STREET (west side)
  LYDFORD ON FOSSE, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 11 July 2006
Date listed: 17 October 1985
Date of last amendment: 17 October 1985
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST53SWLYDFORD-ON-FOSSE CPHIGH STREET (West side)WEST LYDFORD10/88Church of St. Peter

ST53SW LYDFORD-ON-FOSSE CP HIGH STREET (West side) WEST LYDFORD 10/88 Church of St. Peter - GV II* Anglican Parish Church. 1846 by B. Ferrey on an earlier site. Coursed and squared lias rubble, Doulting dressings, stone tile roofs, coped verges with cruciform finials. Nave with a south porch, north aisle, chancel with a north vestry, west tower. Archaeologically correct Perpendicular. Tower with set-back buttresses, embattled parapet with pinnacles, prominant gargoyles, small south stair turret, 2-light bell-chamber windows, 3-light west window; 3 bay buttressed nave with an embattled parapet, 3-light windows; 4-bay north aisle, again buttressed with embattled parapet, 3-light windows; 2 bay chancel, pierced parapet with pinnacles, 4-light east window. Buttressed porch with paired wrought-iron dog gates. Loftly plastered interior under elaborate hammer-beam roofs. 4-bay arcade to north aisle, the piers with 4-hollows mouldings which may be re-used from a C15 structure, though much restored. Plain C15 octagonal font, a niche to each face of its base. C19 pews; C19 lectern in the form of a carved eagle; C19 pulpit, some C19 metal plaques to walls with pious texts. C17 chest; small C17 communion table. 5 C19 tables by Reeves of Bath, Wood of Bristol and Tyley of Bristol. C19 stained glass, particularly the east-window by Wailes of 1852. (Pevsner N. Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.