You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 267585  

Print Page



©  Mike Bedingfield LRPS

IoE Number: 267585
Location: THE MANOR HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL TO REAR, CUMHILL HILL (west side)
  PILTON, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mike Bedingfield LRPS
Date Photographed: 31 August 2001
Date listed: 02 June 1961
Date of last amendment: 17 October 1985
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST54SEPILTON CPCUMHILL HILL (West side)15/113The Manor House and attached wallto rear(The Manor House previously

ST54SE PILTON CP CUMHILL HILL (West side) 15/113 The Manor House and attached wall to rear (The Manor House previously listed) 2.6.61 GV II* Abbatial residence, subsquently a manor house. Established by Abbot Michael of Amesbury, 1235-52; refurbished by Abbot Adam of Sodbury, 1323-34; further work by Abbot John Chinnock 1315-1420; C17 additions by Edward, Earl of Hereford rebuilt by Edward Andrews, a Bristol merchant c1754; later C18 additions. L-plan; symmetrical classical frontage with added Gothic features, some of which may be re-used medieval work; wing at right angles to rear in an ebbulient Gothick style. Coursed and squared rubble, crenellated ashlar parapets, crocketted finials, predominantly ashlar stacks, hipped tile, pantile and slate roofs. Frontage of 2 storeys, 5 bays, ashlar end pilasters, a 2-stage ashlar buttress to each side, cornice band, continuous bands over window heads; 12-pane sash windows to first floor in plain stone surrounds; except Venetian window to centre, centre-light with a keystone, sash window to each light; 18-pane sash windows to ground floor in plain stone surrounds; except narrow 6-pane sash windows flanking central door opening, that to right blank and painted to resemble a sash window. Door opening in a moulded architrave, pulvinated frieze, segmental pediment, half-glazed door. Truncated projecting rubble stack to right return with off-sets. Projecting canted turret to left return, 4 narrow windows in dressed stone surrounds with cusped heads. Wing to rear with 3 large triple-light gothic windows to South side, traceried sash windows; French windows; further window with a cusped head. To rear a gabled stair-turret, 2 and 3-light moulded stone-mullioned windows, 2 with leaded lights; adjacent a ribbed and studded door in an ovolo-moulded surround; inside a further cambered head door opening in a chamfered stone surround. Interior with a panelled room to right of ground floor, moulded plaster cornice, fireplace in a bolection moulded surround. Two rooms in wing to rear with eleborate Gothick plasterowork, particularly around the windows. Some early turned balusters at top of stairs. Many further features. Coursed and squared rubble wall to rear, moulded cornice, 2 pointed arch door openings in dressed stone surrounds. (Private guide prepared by the owner).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.