You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 267655  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 267655
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER, HORNBLOTTON
  WEST BRADLEY, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 20 May 2007
Date listed: 02 June 1961
Date of last amendment: 02 June 1961
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST53SEWEST BRADLEY CPHORNBLOTTON10/182Church of St Peter

ST53SE WEST BRADLEY CP HORNBLOTTON 10/182 Church of St Peter 2.6.61 GV 1 Anglican Parish Church. 1872-4 by Sir T G Jackson, for Rector Geoffrey Thring. Has stone, Doulting dressings, tile roofs with stone tiles to the eaves, coped verges with floral finials, tile hung tower with a timber sub-structure to the upper part, tiled broached spire with a pennant; glazed wooden arcade directly below, a small clock inset to the west side. Geometric and Early English style of late C14-early C15. Nave, south porch, combined vestry and organ loft, chancel, west tower. The tower with a 2-light west window, lancets on its north and south sides; recessed west door between buttresses. Two bay nave, 2-light windows, buttresses; 2-bay chancel with lancets; shafted 5-light east window; stopped labels. Porch with columns to outer door opening, plank door with elaborate strap hinges. Interior as designed and complete; covered in fine sgraffito executed in strawberry and cream plaster; sunflowers, branches, texts and figures on all walls. Over west door, Isiah and Jeremiah; under tower, Moses; over chancel arch, The Annunciation; in chancel, 2 angels; in the porch, texts. Tile floors, those to chancel pavement glazed and patterned. Collar truss and king-post roof to nave on corbels, wagon roof to chancel. Chancel arch in Early English style. Alabaster reredos with figures of the Evangelists on enamel tiles. Inlaid oak pulpit lectern, altar and choir stalls; altar rails and pews co-eval. Narrow doorway to the vestry with a blank cusped head incorporating a carved relief of Christ, inlaid door; inside a C15 piscina and a C18 monument incorporated from the old church. Norman tub font under the tower. Stained glass to chancel, east window The Crucifiction of 1874, west window 1874, by Powell and Sons who were also responsible for chancel pavement. C19 organ. The building remains virtually unaltered and a rare example of Jackson's church design. (Clarke B F L, Church Builders of the Nineteenth Century, 1938; Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.