You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 267672  

Print Page

© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 267672
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 23 November 2006
Date listed: 02 June 1961
Date of last amendment: 17 October 1985
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WEST BRADLEY CP ST53NE WEST BRADLEY VILLAGE 7/198 Church of St Andrew (previously listed as Parish Church) 2.6.61 GV II* Anglican Parish Church. Predominantly C14/C15, much C19 restoration, particularly the chancel. Coursed and squared lias rubble, slate and asbestos slate roofs, coped verges with cruciform finials. Nave, chancel with an organ loft to north, south porch, west tower; Perpendicular. Unbuttressed 2-stage tower, with a moulded string at its base; 2-light bell chamber windows, embattled parapet, pyramid roof with a cruciform finial; 2-light west window, west door, shallow stair turret to north side, single narrow window. Two bay nave, an ashlar parapet to the north and south sides with a moulded coping; 2-light traceried windows, some tracery renewed. Buttressed porch, elaborately moulded surround to the outer door opening, adjacent a plain stoup, paired C19 inner doors with surface tracery; blocked north doorway. Two bay chancel, much rebuilt with 2-light square headed windows, priest's door; shallow stair turret to a former rood loft on its north side, lancet with a foiled head. Plastered interior on flag stone and encaustic tile floor; walls scraped under tower which has a star-vault; nave with a king post and tie beam roof; unceiled wagon roof to chancel. Single shafted tower arch; typical Perpendicular moulding to the chancel arch. Norman tub font under tower; semi-circular headed piscina, adjacent a C13 moulded corbel; tablet to Danil Avery of 1530 in nave; further tablet of 1812 by T King to chancel. Plain C19 pews, choir stalls and pulpit (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.