You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 267782  

Print Page



© Mr Peter L. May

IoE Number: 267782
Location: MAIN ROADSIDE FRONTAGE TO CLARKS FACTORY, CLOCK TOWER, 5 BAY RIGHT RETURN AND WATER TOWER, 40 HIGH STREET (north side)
  STREET, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Peter L. May
Date Photographed: 22 April 2002
Date listed: 13 January 1986
Date of last amendment: 13 January 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

STREET CPHIGH STREET (North side)ST43NE10/73No. 40

STREET CP HIGH STREET (North side) ST43NE 10/73 No. 40 (Main roadside frontage to Clarks Factory, Clock Tower, 5 bay right return and Water Tower) II Main frontage to factory, clock tower, 5 bay right return and water tower. Firm started on this site 1825; roadside frontage 1898 by William Reynolds incorporating some earlier fabric; including Alfred Sturge Clarks house to right of 1855; clock tower 1887 by G. J. Skipper; water tower 1897 by William Reynolds. Coursed and squared rubble, emphasised quoins, triple Roman tile roofs, small bellcote, brick stacks. Roadside frontage in a loose Domestic Revival style 1:1:1:1:bays, 3 storeys and attics, first and third bays project slightly under front-facing gables; bay set back to right; large casements with glazing bars in dressed stone surrounds, stopped labels; 2 large shallow 5-light oriels on corbels to first floor, tile pents; 3-light stone-mullioned window with a sash to each light, contiguous stone panel below with raised lettering:- "C & J CLARK". Second floor with 6-pane sash windows with cambered heads and 3 sash windows set together in a dressed stone surround. Bay set back to right with cambered head 16-pane sash windows on the first and second floors. Four-centred archway to centre of left 3 bays, paired C20 gates with wrought-iron grilles. Clock tower set back to right; said to be based on a similar tower at Thun in Switzerland; in a mock-medieval style; coursed and squared rubble, plinth band, corbelled upper stage with freestone dressings, a clock inset to each face, Roman numerals, quatrefoils each side, pyramidal tile roof with lead capping, weathervane, gablets, bracketed eaves, ventilating louvres under the eaves. Door opening to ground floor in a moulded 4-centred head stone surround with label, inset a war memorial. Four storey right return behind the clock tower, 4-pane metal casements. Adjacent to this a 6-storey water tower in plain style, coursed and squared rubble; 2 semi-circular head casements to ground floor, 2 narrow casements to each upper floor; directly below oversailing rectangular metal water tank a dressed stone panel with 4 narrow windows. (McGarvie M., Guide to Historic Street, unpublished).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.