You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 267794  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 267794
Location: IVYTHORN MANOR, PAGES HILL (west side)
  STREET, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 25 August 2005
Date listed: 08 November 1949
Date of last amendment: 08 November 2049
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

STREET CPPAGES HILL (West side)ST43SE8/85Ivythorn Manor

STREET CP PAGES HILL (West side) ST43SE 8/85 Ivythorn Manor 8.11.49 GV II* Monastic dwelling, subsequently a country house. Of medieval origin, rebuilt 1488 for Abbot Selwood of Glastonbury Abbey, subsequently passing to the families Marshall and Sydenham after the dissolution. Sir John Sydenham added a wing 1578 (though this was subsequently demolished). In 1834 the house was partly ruinous; restored c1904, later substantial alterations and additions including West wing of 1938. Coursed and squared rubble, coped verges on kneelers with finials, triple Roman tile roof, tall rubble stacks. Irregular L-plan; entrance frontage of 2 storeys, 1:1 bays under front facing gables; that to left largest and projecting forward; a 6-light moulded stone-mullioned window to each floor, iron stanchions and saddle bars, leaded lights, stopped labels, carved stone angels as stops, relieving arches; narrow right bay set back being a 2-storeyed porch, 2-light stone-mullioned window to first floor, stopped label, iron casement with leaded lights. Outer door opening to ground floor in a moulded stone surround, 4-centred arch head, corbel carved as a head set above; benched interior on flag floor; inner door in a moulded surround with a 4-centred arch head, ribbed and studded plank door with iron strap hinges; above a freestone tablet with the arms of Abbot Selwood. Left and right returns in conforming style, many features restored. Single and 2-storeyed. West wing although relatively modern and much altered included because it completes the ensemble. Interior with C15 moulded beams to one room; original fireplace openings. (Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Buckler, Drawings, SANHS).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.