You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 267808  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 267808
Location: THE OLD PARSONAGE, MAIN STREET (south side)
  WALTON, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 02 September 2005
Date listed: 22 November 1966
Date of last amendment: 22 November 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WALTON CPMAIN STREET (South side)ST43NE5/100Nos 67 and 67A(The Old Parsonage)

WALTON CP MAIN STREET (South side) ST43NE 5/100 Nos 67 and 67A (The Old Parsonage) 22.11.66 GV II* Postulated as a monastic manor courthouse with an attached, though separate, house for the rector of Street, (Walton once part of that Parish); now a single dwelling. C15 with much alteration, particularly virtually complete refenestration c1940 with imported C15 features. Rubble with roughcast; freestone dressings; coped verges; C20 stacks, predominantly brick. Two 2-storey rectangular ranges staggered and joined only at the angles where there is a vice; each range with a former hall on first floor. Perpendicular. Two 3-light stone-mullioned windows on Eastern side are original: each light with a cusped head, one window with a transom and stopped label; most of the other windows appear re-set. north-west range with fine semi-octagonal bay window to North gable, 2-storeyed with a tripartite tile roof, windows re-set. Two door openings to West, that to North range with a 2-centred moulded stone surround, directly adjacent an identical second doorway now blocked, C20 porch; that to south-west range via a shallow porch with a door opening in a moulded stone surround with a 4-centred head, moulded wooden inner doorframe with 4-centre head and carved spandrels, again both the latter 2 doorways appearing imported. Many interior features of the 1940 restoration including doors, doorways and probably all the fireplaces; the moulded ceiling to the South of the South range and the moulded coffered ceiling (partially obscured) to the north range are undoutedly original. Roof to South with arch-braced collar trusses; that to North with collar and tie-beam trusses. (Extract from the Terrier of the Glebe Lands, 1621; W A Pantin, Medieval Archaeology, Volume 1, 1958; Pevsner N, Buildings of England, 1958; VAG Report, undated, unpublished; D B Sumpster, D.o.E. report, 3 November 1977).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.