© Mr Ulick Palmer
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE (south side)
CHILCOMPTON, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Mr Ulick Palmer
04 September 1999
21 September 1960
Date of last amendment:
21 September 1960
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
CHILCOMPTON CP CHURCH LANE (South side)
4/17 Church of St John The Baptist
Anglican Parish Church. C15, much rebuilt C19. Coursed and squared rubble, ashlar, freestone dressings, lead sheeting
and slate roofs. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north and south chapels, north porch, west tower; Perpendicular
and neo-Perpendicular. Tower of c1460, embattled, 2 stages, diagonal buttresses, 3-light traceried bell-chamber windows
with quatrefoil grilles, polygonal stair turret, 4-light west window, carved heads as label steps, tracery renewed C19.
Nave and aisles 1839 by Jesse Gane; 4 bays, buttressses, embattled, slender 3-light windows; contemporary the gabled
porch, iron dog-gates. Chancel and flanking chapels 1897 by F. Bligh Bond, 2-light windows, 4-light east window, large
gargoyles at east end probably re-used from an earlier fabric. Lofty plastered interior on flag stone, tile and
encaustic flagstone tile floors under elaborate roofs; 4-bay arcades to north and south aisles, piers of 4 hollows
section. Perpendicular tower arch. C12 tub font: remains of Elizabethan tomb to Richard Seward in south aisle; further
C17, C18 and C19 monuments, predominantly by Reeves of Bath. Good brass lectern. Pews, choir stalls, organ and pulpit
of c1900. Simple stained glass of late C19. Six early bells. (Atthill, Church Guide, 1980).