You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 267841  

Print Page



© Mr John Chester

IoE Number: 267841
Location: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET (west side)
  COLEFORD, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John Chester
Date Photographed: 11 October 2005
Date listed: 11 March 1968
Date of last amendment: 11 March 1968
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

COLEFORD CPCHURCH STREET (West side)ST64NE9/58Church of The Holy Trinity11.3.68GVII

COLEFORD CP CHURCH STREET (West side) ST64NE 9/58 Church of The Holy Trinity 11.3.68 GV II Anglican Parish Church. 1831 by J. Sperring. Ashlar, slate and asbestos slate roofs, coped verges with pinnacles, cruciform finial, slender 2- stage buttresses. Broao nave with aisles, short chancel, west tower with single storey flanking rooms, one a vestry, one a store/churchroom. Perpendicular style. Slender tower with battlements, 2 stages, diagonal buttresses ascending to pinnacles, 2-light bell-chamber windows with stone grilles, 2-light West window. Four bay nave, 2-light windows; embattled gabled south porch, pointed-arch door opening, C20 doors, traceried transom; traceried inner doors. Chancel blank on north and south sides; 3- light East window. Plastered interior with C19 and C20 wall monuments; ceiling to nave with moulded cornice and a moulded central rib. Stone reredos with inscriptions. Perpendicular style stone pulpit and font probably of 1831. Late C19 organ and benches. Late C19 and C20 stained glass. Bell said to come from Fonthill Abbey in #iltshire. (Wood S., A short History of Coleford Parish Church, 1971).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.