You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 267874  

Print Page

© Mr Robert O. Caudwell

IoE Number: 267874
Photographer: Mr Robert O. Caudwell
Date Photographed: 11 October 1999
Date listed: 11 March 1968
Date of last amendment: 11 March 1968
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HEMINGTON CPST75NWFOXCOTE2/91Church of St. James The Less11.3.68

HEMINGTON CP ST75NW FOXCOTE 2/91 Church of St. James The Less 11.3.68 GV II* Anglican Church, now redundant. Early C18 incorporating C15/C16 turret. Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar, moulded cornice, parapet with coping, slate roof, coped verges. Nave, chancel, west bell turret. Classical/Palladian, emphasis placed upon entrance front; Perpendicular turret. Two bay nave with rusticated quoins, semi-circular head windows with emphasised keys and imposts, diamond-paned leaded lights. Door opening with segmental pediment on Roman-Doric half-columns, 6-panelled door; 2 bay chancel of lower height, rusticated quoins; windows similar to nave with square-paned leaded lights. Small 2-stage embattled turret, corner pinnacles, narrow plain bell-chamber openings, semi-circular head east window. Interior plastered on tile and flagstone floors; coved plaster ceilings with moulded cornices; emphasised surrounds to windows. Jacobean altar table, altar rail and chair. Panelled C18 pulpit with carving. C19 pews, lectern and font. Fine set C18 wall monuments; to William Ponting of 1708 with segmental pediment; to John Smith of 1714 in marble surround; to Richard Ponting of 1715 in bolection moulded surround; to Thomas Fisher of 1719 with achievement set over, to Robert Smith of 1769 with weeping cherub; to Hannah Orange in marble with segmental pediment. Slab to Sarah Weaver of 1718; early C19 wall monument. Two C17 coffin stools. South-east corner of exterior with inscription.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.