You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 268267  

Print Page



© Mr Robert W Keniston

IoE Number: 268267
Location: CRANMORE HALL, WALLING AND GAZEBO, NOW PART OF ALL HALLOWS SCHOOL,
  CRANMORE, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Robert W Keniston
Date Photographed: 21 October 2005
Date listed: 25 February 1988
Date of last amendment: 25 February 1988
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CRANMORE CPST64SEEAST CRANMORE4/67Granmore Hall, walling andgazebo, now part of All HallowsSchool

CRANMORE CP ST64SE EAST CRANMORE 4/67 Granmore Hall, walling and gazebo, now part of All Hallows School 2.6.61 GV II* Large country house in emparked landscape, now forms main portion of All Hallows School. Whilst retaining some C17 and C18 work, mostly rebuilt and extended between 1830 and 1860 for Paget family, principally 1856 by T.H. Wyatt; orangery added to east 1868 by Henry Ormison; the present use has resulted in some minor alteration. Ashlar and some rubble; slate roofs, coped verges, some shaped gables, tall emphasised grouped ashlar stacks, some square, some polygonal, metal pennants, hipped roof to range to east with wrought-iron cresting. Irregular roughly L-shaped plan with loggia and orangery to east. Jacobean and loose Italianate style, the west front is perhaps a facsimile of that which already existed. West front roughly symmetrical, 3 storeys, attics, 1:1:2:1:2:1 bays, first, second, fourth, and sixth projecting; first from left with a parapet and coping; second under a gable with a canted bay window; sixth under a gable, canted stone oriel on first floor, strapwork parapet; predominantly 2 and 3-light moulded stone-mullioned windows with stopped labels, some with transoms, further canted stone bay on ground floor with strapwork parapet. To its left a single-storeyed entrance porch with semi-circular head outer door opening, enriched key, pilasters with strapwork ornament, strapwork parapet with central lozenge, inside an encaustic tile floor, paired three-quarter glazed doors. Abutting to left of front a lower height C17 building now used as a chapel, cruciform plan; 2 storeys, 1:1 bays, 2, 3 and 4-light moulded stone-mullioned windows, to ground floor with leaded lights; this section with fishscale tile roof, topping polygonal bell-turret with cupola, arcaded openings, large pennant finial, square base with a clock on 3 faces, Roman numerals. Arcaded loggia to east elevation; single storey orangery, now classrooms, strapwork parapet, obelisk finials. Entrance forecourt and parterre to south with enclosing walling. To south a baluster parapet and at the south-west corner a gazebo, appears mid C18, ogee-shaped fishscale slate roof with finial; square on plan, one bay to each elevation, sash windows with glazing bars, paired half-glazed doors to east. Entrance forecourt with serpentine walls with strapwork parapet, 3 pairs of piers with ball finials. Interior with C17, C18 and C19 work. Of the C17 a high quality hall screen, ornamental chimneypiece with flanking columns and several carved floorcases were probably used from the earlier house; likewise some C18 panelling and doors. High quality Victorian work in Jacobean style including chimneypieces, panelling, staircase, ornamental plasterwork and doors. Country Life, June 17th, 1899).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.