© Dr Neil Bentham
CRANMORE, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Dr Neil Bentham
27 September 2003
25 February 1988
Date of last amendment:
25 February 1988
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
CRANMORE CP EAST CRANMORE
4/71 St James
Former Anglican church, now deconsecrated and used as a dwelling. 1846 by T.H. Wyatt, some late C20 alteration. Ashlar,
coped verges, ornamental finials, slate roofs. Nave, chancel, south transept, south tower-porch, north vestry. Early
English and Geometrical styles. Two stage tower-porch with pilaster buttresses to bottom stage, corner shafts to second
stage, cornice with ball-flower ornament, tall recessed ribbed stone spire with cruciform finial and small gablets;
2-light bell-chamber openings with quatrefoils; shafted pointed-arch door opening, label stops carved as heads, ribbed
and studded door. Five bay nave, pilaster buttresses with offsets, cusped lancets, west end with similar fenestration
and a rose window. Transept with 2-light window with plate tracery to south, large gargoyle. Low vestry with lancets.
Two bay chancel, lancets, good 3-light triple-lancet east window, carved heads as label stops; priests door to south,
shafted opening, scrolly iron hinges. Majority of window openings with original glazing removed and late C20 aluminium
casements inserted. Interior not seen at time of survey (March 1986) but is believed to be little altered with an
elaborate arch-braced roof. Stated to stand on the site of a Saxon chapel which was rebuilt in the early C18.
(Photographs in NMR).