© Mr G F J Russell LRPS
CHURCH OF ST MARY,
EVERCREECH, MENDIP, SOMERSET
Mr G F J Russell LRPS
11 September 2000
02 June 1961
Date of last amendment:
02 June 1961
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
4/196 Church of St Mary
Anglican church. C12, C13, C15, rebuilt 1888, further work of 1925. Rubble, some ashlar, freestone dressings, lead
roofs, stone tiles to porch. Nave with west bellcote, south porch, chancel. Perpendicular. Three bay nave, blocked west
doorway with a 4-centre arch head square label, 3-light west window; ogee bellcote; south side with one small 2-light
window to right of large porch with possible C13 outer doorway, double-chamfered with continuous moulding. Inner
doorway late C12. Transitional one order of colonnettes, leaf caps, stilted segmental head, vertical springers, bead
moulding, animal heads. Two Norman corbels reused to east of nave; gable face with small blocked opening, possibly
lighting the former rood loft; north side with 2-light window with hood mould. Chancel with restored east window of
3-lights. Inside the porch the retains of a stoup, stone benches, C15 canopied niche, and a figure thought to be C17.
Interior plastered on flagstone and tile floors; nave with tie-beam roof restored 1925, though part C17, central truss
incised:- "W.V.R.C. 1663". Low chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders. Remains of entrance to the rood. Norman tub font.
Polygonal stone pulpit and stone reader with arcading appear C15, although much recut. The chancel with some high
quality carved Jacobean panelling. late C19 pews. Good Cl9 memorial, brass in bold moulded marble surround, similar C20
memorial. Stained glass to east window dated 1913. Bell believed to date from l632. (Ridler, Rev. Gordon, Church Guide,
undated; Pevsner N., Buildings of England. North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).