You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 268751  

Print Page



©  Mike Bedingfield LRPS

IoE Number: 268751
Location: CHURCH OF ST CONGAR, CHURCH LANE (west side)
  BADGWORTH, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mike Bedingfield LRPS
Date Photographed: 13 June 2001
Date listed: 09 February 1961
Date of last amendment: 09 February 1961
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST35SEBADGWORTH CPCHURCH LANE (West side)4/95Church of St Congar9.2.61

ST35SE BADGWORTH CP CHURCH LANE (West side) 4/95 Church of St Congar 9.2.61 GV II Parish church. C14 chancel; nave with south porch; north chapel of cl340 with west porch and door; further work of C16 including west tower. Squared rubble, slate roof, coped verges. Tall thin 4-stage tower with angle buttresses up first and second stages, corner pinnacles, pierced parapet; west door of 1709, restored 1909. Three-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, extensively rebuilt 1854, the former retaining large Perpendicular windows, the latter remodelled in a Decorated style; south door to nave remains C14 with quadrant mouldings, door with decorated tracery. North chapel with 2 light decorated-east window with a rere-arch, a similar west window blocked, below it a door opening with a cusped head, (screened by the organ at time of re-survey). Interior with C14 tower arch of 3 continuous quadrant mouldings double chamfered chancel arch of similar date. C14 piscina in a gabled niche; opposite the tomb of Jon De Hampton in a recess with an ogee headed archway; squint to north chapel incorporating a piscina; 2 bay arcade to north chapel; some C18 panelling. Jacobean pulpit on C16, stone base reused from an earlier pulpit, 4 figures in gabled niches. Font on 4 clustered shafts probably C13. All stained glass late C19 by George Kempe.5 C19 wall monuments; one of C18 in north chapel; hammered brass plaque in an Art Noveau style of 1901 to south nave wall. C16 benches, ends with plain thin poppey heads. Aid C19 organ. Head corbels for a parvise in porch. C18 chest. C19 roofs. (Pevsner, The Buildings of England, North soierset and Bristol,1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.