You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 268908  

Print Page



© Mr Robert Sutherland

IoE Number: 268908
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN,
  NETHER STOWEY, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Robert Sutherland
Date Photographed: 04 October 2002
Date listed: 29 March 1963
Date of last amendment: 29 March 1963
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST13NENETHER STOWEY CP11/59Church of St Mary the Virgin(formerly listed under General)29.3.63

ST13NE NETHER STOWEY CP 11/59 Church of St Mary the Virgin (formerly listed under General) 29.3.63 GV II* Parish church. C15 tower, remainder rebuilt 1851 by Richard Carver and Charles Edmund Giles, works executed by W M Shewbrooks of Taunton. Coursed and squared red sandstone rubble, freestone dressings, slate and asbestos slate roofs, coped verges with cruciform finials. Perpendicular and Decorated styles. Nave with South porch and North and South aisles, chancel with a North vestry, West tower, Embattled 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, corner pinnacles, embatted stair-turret, prominent gargoyles, 2-light bell-chamber windows; shafted tower arch. Four bay nave with arcading, 2 bay chancel; 2-light windows; South aisle with a parapet; 3-light East and West windows. Plastered interior; arch braced roof to nave and North aisle; lean-to roof to South aisle; plastered wagon roof to chancel. Restored octagonal font of C15; in the chancel 2 brackets with two bishops mitres to commmemorate two vicars who became bishops, probably late C18, Royal coat of arms of c1710. Four C18 tablets, one to North aisle pedimented, 6 C19 tablets; that adjacent to South doorway to Thomas Poole of 1837. Much C19 stained glass, of particular note the East window of the Ascension of 1886 by Ward and Hughes and the North aisle window of the Good Samaritan of l893. Tablet commemorating the rebuild adjacent to the tower arch. (Pevsner, buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.