You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 268930  

Print Page

© Mr John H. Sparkes

IoE Number: 268930
Photographer: Mr John H. Sparkes
Date Photographed: 19 July 2004
Date listed: 29 March 1963
Date of last amendment: 29 March 1963
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.


ST24SW OTTERHAMPTON CP OTTERHAMPTON VILLAGE 3/79 Church of All Saints 29.3.63 GV II* Parish church. C12 establishment; C14, C15, much C19 restoration. Coursed and squared blue lias and sandstone rubble, coped verges, slate roofs. Perpendicular; nave, chancel, north chapel now a vestry, west tower. Three stage embattled tower, diagonal buttresses, 2-light bell chamber windows with louvres, prominent gargoyles; west door, west windows of 3-lights, both with stopped labels. Two bay nave, single bay chancel, 2 and 3-light square headed windows, each light with a foiled head, rere-arches; each window opening with a label, those to south of nave with stops carved as heads; 3-light east window, again with a rere-arch. Buttressed porch, plain chamfered doorway, inside benches and a foiled niche to East wall; C15 inner door. Scraped interior on tile floors. Plain chamfered chancel and tower arches; the former with flanking ogee and semi-circular headed niches; the latter with moulded head on corbels. Norman font with a ribbed Jacobean cover; restored C15 chancel screen with 2 Jacobean figures said to represent Adam and Eve. Pews, choir stalls and pulpit of C19, also 2 sconces for candles adjacent North window of the chancel. C17 altar rail, turned balusters, some removed. Tablet to chancel floor with a floriated cross marking vault of Everard family; 3 C19 tablets; wooden plaque with achievement; large painting of Christ in The Judgement Hall. The tower has an Elizabethan bell-frame and 4 bells, one of C16, 2 others dated 1617, 1737. Railed enclosure to East of the porch, cast-iron railings with spear caps. (Church guide, undated; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.