You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 269237  

Print Page



©  Mike Bedingfield LRPS

IoE Number: 269237
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET (south side)
  ASHCOTT, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mike Bedingfield LRPS
Date Photographed: 19 July 2001
Date listed: 29 March 1963
Date of last amendment: 29 March 1963
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST43NWASHCOTT CPHIGH STREET (South side)2/9Church of All Saints29.3.63

ST43NW ASHCOTT CP HIGH STREET (South side) 2/9 Church of All Saints 29.3.63 GV II* Anglican Parish Church. Predominantly C15, much C19 alteration, particularly the broadening of the nave in 1831. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, tile and lead-sheeting roofs, some coped verges with cruciform finials. Perpendicular. Nave with south porch, chancel with organ loft and heated vestry. West tower, embattled and of 2 stages, lower stage with diagonal buttresses, 2-light bell-chamber windows, prominant gargoyles; 3-light West window, West door with elaborate hinges, plaque adjacent with arms of Abbot Selwood of Glastonbury Abbey; stair turret to South. Three- bay buttressed nave, 3-light windows, parapet pierced by quatrefoils. Porch with a broad 4-centred arch outer door opening, paired wrought-iron gates; cusped niche set over; inside benched with a flag floor, stoup. Two bay chancel, elaborate 3-light windows. Embattled vestry. Plastered interior on C20 wood block and mosaic floors. Nave with C19 coffered ceiling, chancel with wagon roof. Chancel and tower arches both reconstructed C19, the former shafted. C15 pulpit on C19 stone plinth; Norman tub font; C19 pews, many with C15/C16 traceried ends, also some unusual C16/C17 ends with semi-circular fluting; 6 C18 wall monuments, largest to chancel; 3 C19 wall monuments; Hanoverian Royal Arms; C19 plaque under tower commemorating local charities; C19 chancel screen, organ, choir stalls and stained glass; chancel South window by Kempe of 1889, East window of 1898. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.