You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 269245  

Print Page



© Mr Kevin White LBPPA

IoE Number: 269245
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD (north side)
  SHAPWICK, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Kevin White LBPPA
Date Photographed: 17 April 2003
Date listed: 29 March 1963
Date of last amendment: 29 March 1963
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST43NWSHAPWICK CPCHURCH ROAD (North side)2/17Church of St. Mary29.3.63

ST43NW SHAPWICK CP CHURCH ROAD (North side) 2/17 Church of St. Mary 29.3.63 GV II* Anglican Parish Church. Consecrated 1331, some C15 alteration, particularly to tower and West end; restored 1861 by George Gilbert Scott. Coursed and squared rubble and some ashlar, freestone dressings, slate roofs with crested ridges, coped verges with cruciform finials. Decorated and Perpendicular; restoration in a neo-Decorated style. Nave with a heated North vestry, South porch, central tower, chancel. Embattled 2 stage tower, 2-light bell-chamber windows, gargoyles; stair turret to North with embattled octagonal upper stage; South side with 2 further 2-light windows. Two squat 2-stage buttresses on the North and South sides of tower at junction with nave and chancel. Two bay nave, 2 and 3-light windows; 5-light transomed West window, West door. Buttressed vestry with a 2-light window. Buttressed porch, interior benched on flag floor; outer door opening with paired wrought-iron gates; inner door opening with paired plank doors, E-shaped hinges. Two bay chancel, 2-light windows, plain 3-light East window; priests door with restored C15 hinges. Plastered interior on tile floors, marble around altar. Tower on squat double-chamfered arches continued in the piers without interruption. Nave with restored C15 wagon roof; C19 coffered ceiling under tower; chancel with C19 wagon roof. Two C14 piscinae to nave. C15 stone pulpit; C14/C15 style font. Part of detached remains of C17 altar rail, turned balusters; Jacobean table in vestry. Two fine wall monuments of C17 to Bull family of Shapwick Manor (q.v.); to Jane Bull of 1657 with a marble surround, open segmental pediment with achievement, flanking cherubs; to Henry Bull of 1691, broken segmental pediment with achievement, flanking pilasters with emblems of mortality. Five C18 monuments; that to Thomas Strangwys of 1766 with urn finial; 9 principal C19 monuments. Remainder of fittings of C19, including pews, choir stalls, lectern, alter rail, ornamental oil lamps on sconces and decalogue plaques flanking tower arch. Achievement on canvas plaque in nave. Much mid/late C19 stained glass, particularly in the chancel.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.