© Michael Bass
THE GRANARY, 6 MONKS DRIVE (north side)
SHAPWICK, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
30 March 2004
29 March 1963
Date of last amendment:
06 December 1985
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST43NW SHAPWICK CP MONKS DRIVE (North side)
2/23 Nos. 6 and 7
(The Granary and Shapwick House
(formerly listed as Shapwick
Country house in landscaped grounds, now hotel with portion of service wing used as a separate dwelling. 1630 for Sir
Henry Rolle, Chief Justice to Charles I; much altered late C18 for George Templar; clock tower with date:- "1865"
marking restoration for H. B. Strangways, probably by George Gilbert Scott. Coursed and squared blue lias rubble,
slate roofs, coped verges some with ball finials, exposed chimney breasts to each return, capping ashlar stacks set
diagonally in groups of 3. Jacobean with plain C18 modifications, particularly on the entrance frontage, E-plan. Three
storeys and 2 storeys and attic, 1:1:1:1:1 bays; those to each side in projecting wings with front facing gables,
paired 12 and 18-pane sash windows with central dividing mullions in shallow full height canted bays with ogee-shaped
lead roofs; remainder of openings with 18-pane sash windows except 2-light ovolo moulded stone-mullioned windows in
half dormers to second floor. Central slender 3-storey projecting gabled porch, 3-light ovolo-moulded stone mullioned
windows, that to first floor double transomed; elaborate doorcase of dressed stone, moulded and keyed with a
semi-circular head, spandrels with acanthus enrichment, triglyph frieze, Doric pilasters, moulded cornice, 3 ball
finials; paired C20 doors. Attached domestic wing to left return; salient feature the arcaded wooden bellcote with
ogee-shaped lead dome and windvane, standing on projecting clock tower with offset; 2, 3 and 4-light stone-mullioned
windows, some transomed, 2 to left in half-dormers, some C20 refenestration. Two large 7-light canted bays to rear.
Interior predominantly of the late C18; hall on flag floor, marble fireplace with colonnettes incorporating cast-iron
fireback dated:- "1727"; right ground floor room with panelling and fireplace; open well staircase with ramped
handrail, secondary lesser staircase; further features of note including ornamental plasterwork; dado panelling; doors
and window shutters; C17 fireplace to first floor; reused C17 panelling to rear room on ground floor.